The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Where can I go to find emergency/short-term housing?

Please see information on temporary/emergency housing here mceclip0.png:

You can find temporary housing in one of the following centers:

Humanitarian Arrival Centre โ€œSport- und Fun-Halle Leopoldstadt
Registration office for persons who are in transit and do not wish to stay in Vienna โ€“ Only in case of need for emergency accommodation (Food, information, arrangement of emergency accommodation, people are forwarded to Messe Wien for registration)
Address: EngerthstraรŸe 267 โ€“ 269, 1020 Vienna
Opening hours: Around the clock, seven days a week

Humanitarian Arrival Centre Niederรถsterreich
Address: Schulzentrum, RaxstraรŸe 17, 2700 Wiener Neustadt
Opening hours: 08:00 โ€“ 16:00 Uhr

Humanitarian Arrival Centre of the Province of Styria in Graz (from 16.03.2022)
Address: Messehalle D (Exhibition Hall D), Messeplatz 1, 8010 Graz
Opening hours: Around the clock, seven days a week
Accessible by bus or tram (free for people from Ukraine)

Humanitarian Arrival Centre Messezentrum
Address: Messehalle 4, Am Messezentrum 1, 5020 Salzburg
Opening hours: Around the clock, seven days a week

Humanitarian Arrival Centre Tirol
Address: Haus Marillac, SennstraรŸe 3, 6020 Innsbruck
Opening hours: Around the clock, seven days a week
More Information: Ukraine-Hilfe | Land Tirol

You can also check these websites that offer temporary accomodation: mceclip0.png

On November 15, a new Arrival Center for Ukrainian refugees was opened in Vienna, the capital of Austria. This is a temporary shelter and first aid point for those who have arrived from Ukraine for the first time and are looking for a temporary place to stay overnight.

The Vienna Arrivals Center is located at AlthanstraรŸe 14, opposite the AlthanstraรŸe tram stop.

What services can Ukrainians receive at the Arrival Center?

  • Testing for COVID-19 and initial medical examination
  • Temporary overnight accommodation
  • Shower, laundry, hygiene products
  • Assistance with further relocation within Austria or further departure to other countries
  • Assistance with finding private housing within the framework of the Grundversorgung state refugee assistance program.
Can I access public housing or housing provided by the state? How and where do I apply for public housing?

Upon arrival, you will be accommodated in temporary housing and provided with food and other necessary items: hygiene products, children's equipment, etc. The Vienna Humanitarian Arrival Center is located at EngerthstraรŸe 267-269, 1020 Vienna.

Austria provides Ukrainians with free long-term housing located throughout the country. It is impossible to select a region. The type of accommodation is different, but you will not have to share a room with other people. If you want to live with relatives, inform the staff about this and they will try to arrange shared accommodation for you or place you nearby.

You can apply for housing in different prefectures across Austria. Here mceclip0.png is a map of registration and state care facilities that provide accommodation for displaced Ukrainians.

Also, this hotline is operating in Russian and Ukrainian languages and provides information for emergency housing for refugees from Ukraine: +43 1 2676 870 9460

Austrians also host Ukrainians in their own apartments. To search, go to:

  • Federal Agency for Care and Support (BBU);
  • Housing agency Diakonie;
  • Homes for Ukraine โ€“ an initiative of non-profit organizations engaged in the organization of accommodation.
How do I find long term housing?

You can look up for a long-term housing via BBU mceclip0.png website, there you can find a list with refugee centers that offer long-term accommodations in different provinces.

Alternatively, you can sumbit an online form here mceclip0.png.

You can also look up for a housing privately via the housing agency of Diakonie mceclip0.png, a non-profit organization for housing placement Homes For Ukraine mceclip0.png, online platforms for searching rental apartments (e.g. mceclip0.png, mceclip0.png) as well as real estate platforms of various Austrian newspapers and relevant social media groups such as Mietwohnung Wien mceclip0.png or Apartments in Vienna mceclip0.png.

If I am staying with friends and family in the long term, what documents do I need to fill out to make it official? How can I obtain proof of residency?

In the case of private accommodation, you have to report your place of residence directly to the registration office within three days after moving into the accommodation, whereby you need a corresponding confirmation of your accommodation provider (owner, private landlord, etc.).

You can register your accommodation at any regional administrative authority (Bezirksverwaltungsbehรถrde). As a person coming from the Ukraine, you do not need to make an appointment. When you go to Bezirksverwaltungsbehรถrde you need to fill-out a registration form, like for instance this one mceclip0.png and present your valid travel documents (e.g., a passport).

If you stay in a hotel or an official emergency quarter, you just need to register with the accommodation provider. The form needs to be signed by you and the accommodation provider (or a representative such as the property manager). Each person that should be registered needs her/his own form including the underage children. If you are the legal guardian of a child, you need to sign on their behalf. If the legal guardian is not with the child, the accommodation provider needs to sign both signature fields.