The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

You can cross the border directly from Ukraine into Romania or enter the country via the Republic of Moldova. The direct crossing points between Romania and Ukraine are Halmeu/Dyakovo, Sighetu Marmaศ›iei/Solotvino, Siret/Porubne, Krasnoilsk-Vicovu de Sus and Isaccea/Orlivka (ferry crossing).

You can check the interactive map showing the waiting time at mceclip0.png. A list of border crossing points between Ukraine and neighboring countries is available at mceclip0.pngย For additional details you can the help-line of the Romanian Border Police call +40213162598.

Ukraine opened a new checkpoint on the border with Romania

In the Chernivtsi region, a new automobile checkpoint "Dyakั–vtsั– - Racovฤƒศ›" was opened on the border with Romania. This was announced on the website of the State Border Service of Ukraine mceclip0.png.

The point is open around the clock. The planned capacity of the point per day is up to 300 cars, including 10 buses, 1550 people, including 500 pedestrians. There are 6 lanes for vehicles and a separate lane for pedestrians. Until the necessary infrastructure is created, only empty trucks will be allowed through.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Romania with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport.
  • Passport of the old sample, if its validity period has not yet expired (in accordance with paragraph 2 of the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 07.05.2014 No. 152 mceclip0.png).
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the DPSU, currently only citizens of Ukraine evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place can leave Ukraine with an internal passport, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of April 25, 2022 No. 75 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary.

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

After crossing the border, you are free to continue traveling to your final destination or, if you need help, you can go to one of the centers located at the border or near the border. There you can find volunteers that can help you find accommodation or a way to get to a certain city; you can also temporarily stay there until a solution for your immediate problems is found. You can request accommodation on mceclip0.png or post in the Facebook Group of Romanians specially created to offer accommodation: United for Ukraine mceclip0.png.

Another resource where you can look for accommodation is mceclip0.png.

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

You can travel by train for free from the border to any city you need, only with the documents received at the border. You can check the train tickets here mceclip0.png with the Romanian National Train Company.

Alternatively, you can post in the Facebook Group of Romanians specially created to offer accommodation & transportation: United for Ukraine mceclip0.png.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

Ukrainians or citizens of other visa-free countries can continue to travel to other EU/Schengen countries for up to 90 days in 180 days. If you don't have a biometric passport, it is recommended to contact the respective embassy of your travel destination to see whether a border is open also for those not having a biometric passport. Rules can be different for traveling by plane, train, bus or car. Travel options are:

Free travel options from Romania are:

  • Train to Hungary: CFR Calatori mceclip0.png will issue a free ticket for the trip to the border, and then the MAV conductor (representing the Hungarian transport company) will give you the free pass to Budapest or the next border.
  • Transport to Italy every Friday organized by Romfour mceclip0.png (special offers for refugees that include only 10 tickets), and discounted international routes to France or Germany. For further information, call +40756 427 384.
  • Bus tickets by Flixbus mceclip0.png from Przemyล›l and Rzeszรณw to several European cities. Traveling vouchers can be obtained online or by e-mail.
  • The National Association of Travel Agencies (ANAT) also launched a campaign aimed at helping refugees from Ukraine reach their families abroad by creating transport corridors within the EU or to countries where ANAT members operate charter flights. They offer assistance in Ukrainian at the phone number +40742 070 509.
How long can I stay?

You can stay in Romania without a visa for 90 days in any 180 days period. More information here. mceclip0.png

Ukrainians who arrived in Romania have the right to apply for three types of protection:

Temporary protection is a pan-European program, granted for a period of one year with the right to extend it for a period of 6 months to 1 year, if the situation in Ukraine does not improve. Ukrainians who lived in Ukraine until February 24, 2022, have the right to apply. After obtaining protection, you will receive a residence permit in Romania, access to the labor market, free medical care, the right to education for children, social support, as well as the opportunity to receive financial assistance in case of lack of funds necessary for existence. To register the status, it is necessary to apply to the General Inspectorate for Immigration mceclip0.png or to the authorities located in the temporary residence and humanitarian aid camps.ย 

Short-term arrival is issued on the basis of the foreign passport of a citizen of Ukraine when crossing the border. The right to registration can be used by all Ukrainians, except for men aged 18 to 60 who are conscripted. Short-term stay is granted for up to 90 days. In temporary accommodation camps, a person can receive humanitarian aid - food, clothing, hygiene products. The status also allows you to receive medical assistance, provides access to work, education and assistance in finding housing.

Asylum seeker - this status is issued to extend the right of short-term stay. The application can be submitted directly at the border or later, but before the expiration of your visa. When registering, you must fill out the application form and submit all the documents you have to the General Inspectorate for Immigration. The application review period is one to two months.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

All unaccompanied children, regardless of their age, can cross the border from Ukraine to Romania.
The General Directorates for Social Assistance and Child Protection mceclip0.png (DGASPC) are the institutions, at country level, are empowered to take care of unaccompanied minors.
You can also ask for help on mceclip0.pngย 

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

Currently, there are no Covid-related requirements at the border applicable to people fleeing war in Ukraine.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

In order to register for temporary protection you shall contact one of the centers or specialized structures of The General Inspectorate for Immigration mceclip0.png.
Asking for Asylum - Form Link here mceclip0.png

Can I get temporary protection in this country if I have previously obtained temporary protection in another country?

Temporary protection obtained in another EU country is not an obstacle to obtaining temporary protection in Romania. However, you will have to contact the competent authorities in Romania and follow the procedure for obtaining temporary protection again.

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

Temporary protection will be automatically expanded by a maximum of two sixth-month periods, meaning until 4 March 2024 if the conflict in Ukraine persists. Source mceclip0.png.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

If you request temporary protection, there is no complex procedure and, in most cases, it takes a couple of hours for you to receive your permit and identification number. This being the case, there is no intermediary statute for those waiting to get temporary protection after they express their intention.

Please read more about it here: mceclip0.png

What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

Once you get a temporary protection you will receive a residence permit and an unique numerical code, that shall be used for identification.
Please read more about it here: mceclip0.png

May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

If the asylum seeker returns to Ukraine, it is considered that he/she has voluntarily returned to the protection of the authorities in the country of origin and from this moment the assistance provided by the Romanian state will cease.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Yes, you can move freely around the country and, also around the European Union for 90 days within a 180-day period. But you can benefit from the rights granted with the temporary protection only in the country that issued your residence permit. If you get to another Member State, you can contact the competent authorities there in order to benefit from these rights.

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Yes, you can still apply for asylum. These forms of protection differ in terms of their duration and the rights granted for those who benefit from them. More information at mceclip0.png

Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter. Persons seeking international protection have similar rights as for temporary protection, but there are also some differences. In the case of an asylum application, a person can access the labor market after 6 months if no final decision has yet been taken on the case. In the case of temporary protection, access to the labor market may be granted much earlier. You can also apply for "family reunification" if a family member already resides legally in the EU. More information at mceclip0.png. If your application for international protection is rejected, you can still benefit from the rights and protection under the temporary protection. Moreover, beneficiaries of international protection cannot return to their country of origin.

Asking for Asylum - Form Link heremceclip0.pngย 

How and where can I apply for the residency?

As from the 8th of March 2022, Ukrainian nationals are exempt from obtaining the work visa. However, for obtaining a residency permit based on purposes other than work ( i.e. family reunification, secondment, digital nomad visa, etc) a long term visa should be obtained from a Romanian consulate abroad. Residence permits justify longer stays and, depending on the purpose of the permit, the statutory periods vary between 1 year (e.g. for work purposes) and even up to 5 years or 10 years, as case may be, subject to the special legal requirements in this.

Generally, beneficiaries of temporary protection mechanism will be granted residence permits for this special purpose, for the duration of the mechanism itself. You can apply for it at the General Inpectorate of Immigration mceclip0.png and read more at mceclip0.png.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

If you request temporary protection, there is no complex procedure and, in most cases, it takes a couple of hours for you to receive your permit and identification number. This being the case, there is no intermediary statute for those waiting to get temporary protection after they express their intention.

What if I don't have the international passport?

Given the fact that the temporary protection regime is currently in force, you can cross the border without a biometric passport. In other cases any document verifying your identity might be sufficient.

How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Romania?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Romania, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Romania?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Romania retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

The first step of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine is to contact the local authorities in Romania, so you can register the death. Ukrainian embassy mceclip0.png should also be able to help you in the process of registering the death abroad.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

Youโ€™ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. If you are repatriating a body to Ukraine for burial or cremation, the documents you will need include:

  • Death Certificate.
  • Certificate or Affidavit from the local health authorities stating that the cause of death of the individual to be shipped to Ukraine was not a communicable disease or infections.
  • A Document about the absence of any excessive objects inside the casket or urn with the ashes.
  • The Certificate of Cremation issued be the Funeral home or Cremation office.

All the mentioned documents should be authenticated, legalized and translated into Ukrainian by the certified translator. The originals of abovementioned documents and notarized translations, must accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The passport of the deceased person should be sent to the Embassy of Ukraine along with a notarized and authenticated copy of the Certificate of Death, and a translation from Romanian to Ukrainian. The Embassy is to make correspondent procedures with the passport and can forward it back if it is required to accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The Embassy is to be informed of the date, time, and the place of delivery of the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine. Only the next of kin relatives of the deceased, or persons correspondingly authorized by them, can receive the casket or urn.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

There are numerous shops that offer such services. Look for printer shops & copy centers on Google Maps as they can provide you with this.
In Bucharest, these type of shops can be easily found in Unirii Metro Stations (1 & 2) & Universitate Metro Station.

Where can I translate my documents?

There are several authorized translators throughout Romania that can offer such services for Ukrainian and Russian language, like Bucuresteni mceclip0.png.
You can ask for help on the Facebook Group mceclip0.png or on mceclip0.png.

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?

You can get free SIM cards at the refugee centers or any of the stores of the following providers:

  1. Orange mceclip0.png is providing free sim card for Ukrainian citizens. You need to have a document providing your identity.
  2. Vodafone mceclip0.png is also providing free sim card for Ukrainian citizens.

Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.