The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

The Government of Romania does not provide financial assistance to Ukrainians who have obtained temporary protection status. Individual support is only available upon written request. The Romanian Society of the Red Cross offers financial assistance for vulnerable categories of Ukrainian refugees - โ‚ฌ110 per person for 3 months. The application for assistance is submitted separately from the application for temporary protection. More details at the link. mceclip0.png

How do I set up a bank account?

Romanian Banks will generally require a Ukrainian passport with a valid entry-stamp in order to open up an account. Several banks have customized offers dedicated to Ukrainian refugees. Please be aware that you will need to provide documents โ€“ you cannot open up a bank account solely based on the refugee status as far as the regulations provide.

In such a regard, we point out this mceclip0.png offer which has generally zero costs for the bank account.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

You can exchange money at some banks or exchange points. For example, BCR mceclip0.png allows a withdraw of 1.000 RON / person / day and has more than 11 ATMs at the border zones to cover all the required necessities. Foreign credit cards are covered throughout the Romanian territory.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

If you wish to work as an employee, you do not need to worry about personally handling and managing your taxes. The employer will pay the required taxes for you.

If you wish to work as an individual entrepreneur (Authorized Physical Person), you would normally need to register within the National Trade Register Office mceclip0.png in order to legally conduct commercial activities on the territory of Romania.

For individual entrepreneurs, taxes are paid on a yearly basis. For example, for the revenue that will be made in 2022 on the territory of Romania, a fiscal declaration will be filed at NAFA (National Agency of Fiscal Administration) in 2023 and the taxes will be paid then.

Generally, for individual entrepreneurs a 10% income tax is paid. However, if the individual entrepreneur had a yearly income above 30.000 RON, besides the 10% income tax, additional 25% social contribution tax and 3.000 RON health tax will be perceived (Therefore, approximatively 45% of his revenue will be paid under the form as taxes).

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

As an employee, you do not need to worry about personally handling and managing your taxes. The employer will pay the required taxes for you.
As an individual entrepreneur, you will need to follow the specific paths mentioned in the previous question.

How can I send money back to Ukraine?

All Romanian banks can operate transfers to Ukrainian accounts without any issues. Alternatively, you can use online banks, like Revolut, Paypal, TransferWise.