The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

You can cross the border with Poland by car and on foot at these points: Uhryniv/Dolhobyszow, Krakivets/Korczowa, Hrushiv/Budomezh, Smilnytsia/Krostsenko, Shehyni/Medyka, Rava-Ruska/Hrebenne, Ustyluh/Zosin, Yahodyn/Dorohusk.

You can check the interactive map mceclip0.png showing the waiting time. A list of border crossing points between Ukraine and neighboring countries is available at mceclip0.png. If you have any questions please contact the Polish border service at +48825685119.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Poland with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport
  • Ukrainian ID
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit issued by one of the parents, certified by a notary.

If possible, you should have your original documents. However, in some cases entry is possible based on copies of the documents or electronic versions of those documents in the Dia app mceclip0.png. You can find more information here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

After arriving to Poland you can contact the nearest reception center where you will receive additional information about your stay in Poland and will have access to a temporary accommodation, hot food, drinks, and basic medical care.

Addresses of reception centers can be found here mceclip0.png.

Hotline for more detailed information: +48 47 721 75 75.

  • Police hotline (for security and missing people): +48 47 721 23 07.
  • 24/7 helpline for people fleeing the war (supported in English, Russian and Ukrainian languages): +48 222 309 900.

You can find more information at mceclip0.png.

In order to facilitate the rapid adaptation of forced migrants, the ADRA Polska Foundation mceclip0.png opened integration centers in Warsaw, Lublin and Bydgoszcz.

Ukrainians fleeing the war on Polish territory can receive comprehensive professional assistance. Psychologists give advice on how to cope with stress, military trauma, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Lawyers advise on legal issues. You can also get information about financial assistance and places of settlement at the points.

The center in Warsaw is open every day, except Tuesday, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

  • Address: al. J. Ch. Szucha 11B, location 1, Warsaw.
  • The center's hotline is also open at +48 500 406 890.

In Lublin, the integration center works at the address: Krakowskie Przedmiesฬcie, 21.

In Bydgoszcz, the help center operates from Monday to Friday, except Tuesday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

You can travel by train. Women, children under 18, men over 60 and people with disabilities are eligible for a free train travel. Check for more information at mceclip0.png.

Additional services:

Jakdojade public transport application (Android mceclip0.png, iOS mceclip0.png) allows searching routes and buying public transport tickets in Warsaw.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

Ukrainians can continue to travel to other EU/Schengen countries for up to 90 days in 180 days. If you want to extend your stay you need to apply for a temporary protection in one of the EU countries.

Available services:
โ€ข If you travel to Germany, Czechia, Slovakia, Austria or Hungary, you can get a free ticket to the last station in Poland. In some cases you can get a direct ticket, for example Poland-Germany mceclip0.png. Helpline to find more information about the train schedule in Poland +48 22 473 00 86.

How long can I stay?

Ukrainian citizens can stay in Poland until 24 August 2023 (18 months extension) in case if they came to Poland on or after 24 February 2022.

If a Ukrainian citizen legally stayed in Poland in the beginning of the war, e.g. on the basis of visa-free traffic (or Schengen visa), national visas or temporary residence permits expiring after 24 February 2022, they have a right for the same extension.

However it is very recommended to apply for the PESEL (ID number) mceclip0.png to access services, such as medical care or social benefits, on the same terms as Polish citizens. You need to apply for it within 60 days, starting from the arrival date to Poland.

If you want to further extend your stay in Poland, you can apply for a temporary residence permit after 9 months (starting from the arrival date to Poland) but before August 24, 2023. One-time decision will be made for a period of up to 3 years. More information at mceclip0.png.

Poland is planning to amend the Special Law on assistance to citizens of Ukraine. According to the new rules, from 2023, all refugees must apply for a PESEL number.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

If you are an unaccompanied minor, after crossing the border you will need to submit a declaration expressing a wish to apply for international protection (asylum). After that, you will be immediately placed to an educational and care facility. Within 3 days the appropriate Court will designate a legal representative for you, who will represent your interests. The legal representative will file an application for international protection acting on your behalf and in your best interest within 3 working days.

You can get first help in the reception centers listed here mceclip0.png.

County family assistance centres:

  1. Konwiktorska 3/5, Warsaw, contact available at tel. +22 628 07 12,
  2. Bema 91, Warsaw, contact available at tel. +22 571 50 00,
  3. Al. Sล‚owackiego 20, Krakรณw, contact available at tel. +12 634 42 70,
  4. Leczkowa 1A, Gdaล„sk, contact available at tel. +58 342 31 50,
  5. 3 Maja 46, Poznaล„, contact available at tel. +61 841 07 10,
  6. Al. JuliuszaSล‚owackiego 1C, Ostrรณw Wielkopolski, contact available at tel. +62 735 51 52,
  7. Pl. ลšw. Jรณzefa 5, Kalisz, contact available at tel. +62 501 42 92,
  8. Konopnickiej 70, Szczytno, contact available at tel. +89 624 97 10,
  9. Piล‚sudskiego 5, Eล‚k, contact available at tel. +87 621 15 50,
  10. Wiatraczna 11, Warsaw, contact available at tel. +22 277 33 00.
Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

Currently, there are no Covid-related requirements at the border applicable to people fleeing war in Ukraine.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

For temporary protection you need to register and apply for the PESEL (ID number) mceclip0.png to access services, such as medical care or social benefits, on the same terms as Polish citizens. You need to apply for it within 60 days, starting from the arrival date to Poland. Adults and children can apply. The service is free.

You can apply for PESEL in town halls (Urzฤ…d Gminy in smaller cities or in Urzฤ…d Dzielnicy in bigger cities) and in some dedicated places (stadiums in big cities). You can choose any place regardless of your place of stay, so consider trying in small cities if you are able to commute. In smaller cities prior registration by phone may be required.

Watch a detailed video mceclip0.png how to apply for PESEL. More information can be foundย here mceclip0.png.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

You can work or study without a PESEL number. But it is very recommended to get it if you want to access social benefits.
It is enough for the employer to notify the employment service within 7 days after the start date at work. You do not need to obtain any permission before starting to work. More information at

You are also entitled to free healthcare services mceclip0.pngย in Poland if you present a document proving that you crossed the border no earlier than on 24 February 2022.
For more information, please call the 24-hour number: 800 190 590

What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

You will have confirmation of your PESEL number and a printout with login and password of your Profil Zaufany, an online profile, required to submit applications online.
Watch detailed video here mceclip0.png.

May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

If you have applied for financial assistance from the Institute of Social Insurance (ZUS) and decide to leave Poland for more than 30 days, you must notify ZUS. You can do this in two ways:

- online, log in to your account on the portal PUE ZUS;
- contact your local ZUS office and submit your written consent. Starting next month, the benefit will not be paid.

ZUS warns that if you leave Poland for more than 30 days without notifying ZUS, you will be obliged to return the funds charged after departure, and even with interest.

More details here mceclip0.png .

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Ukrainians or citizens of other visa-free countries move freely within Poland and EU/Schengen countries for up to 90 days in 180 days. After obtaining temporary protection in a given Member State, you still have the right to travel within the territory of the Union for 90 days within a 180-day period, but you can only use your rights under temporary protection in the Member State that issued your residence permit.

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Yes, you can apply for for asylum (international protection). The main differences from the temporary protection are the following:

Temporary protection mceclip0.png:

  • It is a new addition to the international protection (asylum);
  • Fast access to the residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers, access to the job market.

Asylum mceclip0.png:

  • Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter;
  • It is a complex procedure and it will take time until your case will be reviewed;
  • You can access the job market after 6 months if no final decision has yet been taken on the case;
  • You are prohibited for 6 months to cross the border of the host state while your application is being considered.

You can also apply for "family reunification" if a family member already resides legally in the EU.

How and where can I apply for the residency?

PESEL mceclip0.png is an identification number for people residing in Poland. You need it to be served in public administration offices.
Watch detailed video mceclip0.png how to apply for PESEL. More information can be found here mceclip0.png.
If you want to further extend your stay in Poland, you can apply for a temporary residence permit after 9 months (starting from the arrival date to Poland) but before August 24, 2023. You will need to file appropriate forms in the relevant Voivodeship Office mceclip0.png in person. One-time decision will be made for a period of up to 3 years. Detailed information at mceclip0.png.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

PESEL mceclip0.png is normally issued straight away or within a few days.

What if I don't have the international passport?

You can cross the border with the internal Ukrainian passport, but as the situation changes, please check the latest news at mceclip0.png.
Additionally Polish Border Guard helpline: +48 82 568 51 19

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

There are numerous shops that offer such services. Look for printer shops & copy centers on Google Maps.

Where can I translate my documents?

You can translate your documents at any translation agency in your city, like this one mceclip0.png. Search for ยซtล‚umaczenie dokumentรณwยป on Google.

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?

You can get free SIM cards at the refugee centers, border checkpoints or any of the stores of the following providers:
โ€ข Orange mceclip0.png.
โ€ข Play mceclip0.png
โ€ข Plus mceclip0.png
โ€ข T-Mobile mceclip0.png
Check for more informationย here.

A new player has appeared in the market of mobile operators in Poland. It offers free calls in Poland and unlimited SMS and internet. The new operator is Fonia Telecom Sp. z o. o. This company provides wireless communications, computer programming, and electronic equipment wholesale and retail services.

How to use the services of the new operator?

All residents of Poland, including Ukrainians, can become subscribers and use free communication services.

To do this, take the following steps:

  • Go to the official website of the operator mceclip0.png;
  • Register;
  • Sign a contract with a mobile operator;
  • Download the app.

Free services are provided for consent to view advertisements and discount coupons. Another condition is the constant active state of the application and the presence of a SIM card in the phone. Activation of the offer โ€” 49 zlotys.

Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.