The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

Ukrainian children have the same legal rights to get admission to pre-school education as children with permanent residence in the Czech Republic.

  • If you want to apply to the kindergarten (mateล™skรฉ ลกkoly), you should contact them directly. An interactive map with schools and kindergartens with vacancies is available here mceclip0.png in Ukrainian.
  • Kindergartens (for children up to 6 years of age) are designated in dark blue. You can send an email to the kindergarten in any language and the kindergarten will get back to you. For assistance with communication, please contact mceclip0.png.
  • Childrenโ€™s groups (dฤ›tskรฉ skupiny), which provide non-profit childcare service for children from 6 months of age up to 6 years are regulated by the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs of the Czech Republic: mceclip0.png
  • Kindergartens (mateล™skรฉ ลกkoly), which provide pre-primary (preschool) education for children from normally 3 years of age up to 6 years, are regulated by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic (MEYS, or Mล MT in Czech): mceclip0.png
How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

Every child at the age of 6-15 who lives in Czech Republic over 90 days is obliged to attend local school, which is free of charge.

Czech school education consists of 2 parts:ย 

  1. Elementary education takes nine years, usually from the age of 6 to 15. Most commonly, children attend a regular 9 year elementary school. Here mceclip0.png is a list of elementary schools in Czech Republic, where you can apply by contacting them directly.
  2. Upper secondary education can be either general or vocational, is generally four years in length (grades 10-13) for children from 16 till 19 years old and is not considered mandatory. ย 

Here mceclip0.png you can find more information and an interactive list of schools and kindergartens in Czech Republic in Ukrainian.

Also, please check this online hub for children in 7-11 grades for home studies and additional resources. It does not replace the official school curriculum.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

In Czech Republic, all medical facilities are required to provide emergency care at any time and to any person, regardless of whether they have insurance or a residence permit. However, a fee may be charged for the provision of medical services. Please find more information in Ukrainian here mceclip0.png and visit this website mceclip0.png that lists all the doctors and clinics available for Ukrainian patients.

Here are direct links to child hospitals and pediatric departments:

You can get some useful information about children arriving from Ukraine here mceclip0.png.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Yes. You can continue your studies at Czech University if you have passed the graduation state exam in Ukraine.

Also, if you have already partly completed your education in Ukraine, you can be accepted to the higher course, after review of your educational documents.

If you do not have any proof of your education in Ukraine, you can still apply for university by filling up the form of affidavit provided by the university that you are willing to study at.

Here mceclip0.png is a full list of universities in the Czech Republic, that you can contact directly for further information on application procedure.

Information about scholarships: mceclip0.png

The Czech National Agency for International Education and Research invites Ukrainian students and researchers to send all questions to, information on work in this field and proposals for scholarships for students can be found here mceclip0.png and here mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

Studies that are free of charge are mostly taught in the Czech language at public universities. There are also scholarships mceclip0.png available for Ukrainian students who are willing to study in English.
Many universities offer one-year-long language courses that can prepare you for studies in the Czech language as well as for entrance examinations.
Find out more about Czech language courses at this website mceclip0.png.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

If you are fluent in Czech, you have to pass the Czech Language Certificate Exam (CCE) before applying to the university. The required level of language proficiency is B2, in some study programs C1.

You can pass Czech language exam in Prague at the Institute for Language and Preparatory Studies. Study centre Praha-Krystal. Josรฉ Martรญho 2/407, block C. 160 00 Prague 6. Check this website mceclip0.png to see other exams locations, dates and online application.

For English language you can pass IELTS exam in Prague or Brno, please find more information on exact locations here mceclip0.png. For TOEFL exam there are 3 testing centers โ€“ in Prague in the Institute of Language Studies of the Academy of Sciences and in the premises of the training centre EDU2000, in Ostrava at Vล B โ€“ Technical University of Ostrava, Poruba. Here mceclip0.png is more information on the exam dates and locations.