The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

The Ministry of Labor of the Czech Republic has submitted mceclip0.png to the government for consideration new rules concerning cash assistance to immigrants. In this regard, the amount of financial assistance received by Ukrainian refugees in the Czech Republic will be reduced. The refugees' income will be taken into account when calculating the aid.

It is also noted that the first payment will not be automatic. The application for assistance will need to be made online.

Updated amounts of financial assistance: who will receive and how much

From now on, the amount of financial assistance to Ukrainians will correspond to the subsistence minimum of the country.

  • For displaced people, the amount will be smaller: instead of 5,000 kroner, they will receive 4,860 kroner per adult and 3,490 kroner per child;
  • For pensioners and people with disabilities, the financial assistance will be increased by 1.5 times the subsistence minimum: the payment will be 7,290 kroner per adult and 5,235 kroner per child.

How will the payment depend on the amount of income?

Only those refugees whose income does not exceed the amount of the fixed payment will be able to apply for financial assistance in the Czech Republic. Czech incomes and money transfers from abroad, in particular from Ukraine, will be taken into account. Only payments to households in the Czech Republic and aid for children from UNICEF will not be considered income.

When deciding on the payment of child support, the joint income of a minor and an adult immigrant will be taken into account.

Support from the state can also be received by refugees whose income does not even reach the amount of humanitarian aid. Thus, to receive aid, an adult refugee without children must earn (or receive a pension) less than 4,860 kroner per month, and a mother with two children less than 11,840 kroner, i.e. less than the amount of humanitarian aid for her and her children.

At the same time, after six months, the authorities will check whether the applicant has obstacles to entering the labor market: for example, taking care of a small child, pension or studies.

From July 1, Ukrainians in the Czech Republic will face changes related to humanitarian aid, housing, solidarity payments and vulnerable persons. The changes are due to amendments to the law Lex Ukraine V.

Humanitarian aid

Humanitarian assistance will include assistance for living needs and assistance for housing. All incomes of immigrants will be taken into account. Humanitarian aid will depend on the living wage and the minimum necessary for existence. Vulnerable persons will receive higher assistance.

In the first 150 days after receiving temporary protection, the amount of payments will be:

  • 4,860 kroner for an adult, 7,290 kroner for a person with a disability;
  • 3,490 kroner per child, 5,235 kroner if it is a person with a disability, 4,188 kroner per child aged 6 to 10 years.

After 150 days from receiving temporary protection, the amount of payments will be:

  • 3,130 kroner per adult in cases where the person is not trying to earn money on his own and is not a vulnerable person;
  • 4,860 kroner per adult who belongs to the category of vulnerable persons, 7,290 kroner per person with a disability;
  • 3,490 kroner per child, 5,235 kroner per person with disabilities, 4,188 kroner per child aged 6 to 10).

Vulnerable persons

The category of vulnerable persons includes:

  • children under 18 years old;
  • persons who take care of a child under the age of 6;
  • persons older than 65 years;
  • persons who care for persons with disabilities;
  • students;
  • pregnant women;
  • persons with disabilities.

From July 1, the Czech Republic will cancel payments to Czechs who sheltered Ukrainians in their homes. Instead, Ukrainians will receive money for renting accommodation directly:

  • 3,000 Czech crowns per person in an apartment entered in the register;
  • 2,400 kroner - in an unregistered residential premises.

This step will allow not only to reduce expenses. The Czech authorities seek to stimulate Ukrainians to find employment and, accordingly, to have the ability to pay for housing.

Please note that the refugee financial assessment amount may vary. The reason is the assessment of the refugee's earnings and savings, which will be carried out after the refugee applies for a new benefit.

Calculator of humanitarian aid for Ukrainians in the Czech Republic

An approximate humanitarian aid calculator for Ukrainians in the Czech Republic has been posted on the website of the Ministry of Labor. Now Ukrainians who have temporary protection in the country can calculate the approximate amount of payments from July 1.

Calculator mceclip0.png.

Financial assistance for Ukrainian children with disabilities in the Czech Republic

Ukrainian children with disabilities who have temporary protection in the Czech Republic can receive financial assistance from UNICEF in partnership with the Czech Red Cross and in coordination with the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MPSV).

The program aims to help families who face additional costs related to a child's disability, which are not covered by the Czech state health insurance, and greater difficulties in accessing the labor market.

The amount of monetary support is 6,600 Czech crowns per month. The allowance is paid to the legal representative of the child who takes care of the child. The financial support program is expected to continue for the duration of the temporary protection under "Lex Ukraine V" (ie until March 2024).

How to get help?

  1. register online at the link mceclip0.png;
  2. receive an SMS confirmation of admission (within 3 weeks);
  3. register in the program.

You can find more detailed information about the program, criteria for participation, registration, and necessary documents in the UNICEF brochure mceclip0.png.

How do I set up a bank account?

You can open a free bank account with:

Documents. Passport with a visa of tolerance (must be 18+ years old), or any identity card.

Ukrainians with a residence permit in the Czech Republic can receive bonuses when opening an account in two Czech banks: Raiffeisenbank and ฤŒSOB.

When opening an account at Raiffeisenbank, the client will receive bonuses in the amount of 500 crowns every month for 6 months, if he pays with the card at least 3 times a month. In total, you can get up to 3,000 kroner.

ฤŒSOB Bank offers a bonus of 1,000 crowns when opening an account, which must be spent by April 30, 2023. To do this, you need to insure your payment card and log into the ฤŒSOB Smart mobile application within 30 days.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

Like anywhere in the EU, you can withdraw cash from any ATM (some may charge a fee).

Unfortunately, if you have Ukrainian Hryvnia cash you cannot change those at the moment. The EU countries currently working on a solution. We recommend you to withdraw the money from the ATM.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

If you are officially employed in Czech Republic, your employer pays taxes on your behalf (there are deductions from your monthly wages i.e. for social security). Detailed info at mceclip0.png.

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

If your remote job is within Czech Republic, your employer will take care of taxes.

If your remote job is outside of Czech Republic or you are a freelancer, please talk to a tax expert. There is a double taxation agreement in place between Ukraine and Czech Republic to avoid double taxation. For more information please visit mceclip0.png.

How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Czech Republic to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.