The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

To arrive in Portugal, you can use regular commercial flights across the EU (subject to a valid biometric passport), international rail and bus services or free ""humanitarian flights"" coordinated by the Portuguese government (details - in the Portuguese embassies), free bus transfers coordinated by the Ukrainian community (details in Ukrainian Refugees UAPT WhatsApp / Telegram / Viber +351969293235), as well as other types of land transport, including private cars. You can check on this website mceclip0.png what travel options are available from your location to Portugal.

To get more information you can contact:

  • - created to provide information to people who want to come to Portugal, to Ukrainian citizens living in Portugal who want to bring their family to the country, and to anyone who wants to help.
  • the Migrant Helpline and Telephone Translation Service, in Ukrainian, on +351 218 106 191 or 808 257 257 (from the fixed-line network in Portugal), workdays, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 8pm, and Saturdays, from 9am to 5pm.

Official government information is available here mceclip0.png.

If you are traveling to Portugal from Poland - contact the Embassy of Portugal mceclip0.png.

Useful resources

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Portugal with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport.
  • Passport of the old sample, if its validity period has not yet expired (in accordance with paragraph 2 of the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 07.05.2014 No. 152 mceclip0.png).
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the DPSU, currently only citizens of Ukraine evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place can leave Ukraine with an internal passport, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of April 25, 2022 No. 75 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary translated to English or Portuguese language.

More information at the official governmentโ€™s website mceclip0.png.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

The Portuguese authorities recommend that Ukrainians do not apply for refugee status, but for the status of a person in need of protection - pedido de protecฬงaฬƒo temporaฬria (temporary EU protection). The procedure for processing documents in this case is simplified, does not involve the seizure of personal documents, does not impose restrictions on the person and creates mechanisms so that the person can open an account in any banking institution in Portugal; work as an employee or carry out business activities in Portugal; apply for social assistance; place your child in kindergarten / school; to continue studies in Portuguese universities; receive medical care in public medical institutions.

To do this, you just need to register with the Foreigners and Borders Service mceclip0.png (SEF) online (a SEF office (see information here mceclip0.png or here mceclip0.png) should only be contacted in person when applying for a child who is in Portugal without parents (eg with a grandmother, sister, aunt)), providing information about your identity, residence in Portugal and contact details.ย 

Based on your request, the Portuguese authorities will issue:

  • residence permit (Tiฬtulo de Resideฬ‚ncia)
  • taxpayer number (NIF)
  • Social Security Identification Number (NISS)
  • medical number of the National Health Service (SNS).

These identification numbers provide access to health care, education, employment, social protection, etc.

The waiting time for processing an application to the SEF is approximately 2 weeks, the information is sent to you by e-mail, which you specified when registering with the SEF.

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

Public transport in the country is very convenient and cheap. A metro ticket in Lisbon costs โ‚ฌ1.50, and a bus ticket is also less than โ‚ฌ2. Monthly pass โ€“ โ‚ฌ40.

More information at the official governmentโ€™s website mceclip0.png.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?
  • CP mceclip0.png is offering train travel, anywhere in the country, to citizens from Ukraine entering Portugal. Simply present at the ticket office or to the train conductor your passport or Ukrainian identity card and the ticket used for your journey into Portugal.
  • Flixbus mceclip0.png operates across Europe and offers cheap tickets.

More information here mceclip0.png and at mceclip0.png.

How long can I stay?

You can stay in Portugal without a visa for 90 days in any 180 days period. If you are granted temporary protection you can stay for 1 year. The residence permit can be extended for two periods of 6 months.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

The Portuguese government has created an online platform to register minors mceclip0.png entering without a guardian, i.e. displaced Ukrainian children.

Contact can be made via online form on the Portugal For Ukraine portal and the support telephone line 300 511 490, every day of the week from 8am to 8pm. This platform also allows the survey of temporary foster care availability, as well as the identification of voluntary transportation actions to national territory.

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

Today, COVID-19 vaccine certificates are not mandatory to enter Portugal. You don't need to present proof of vaccination or present a valid recovery certificate.

But, if you are fully vaccinated as an EU Digital COVID Certificate holder, it's a good idea to carry it on a Eurotrip. Other European countries may still ask for a vaccination certificate.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

The request for the Temporary Protection Title is made online mceclip0.png. However, applications for temporary protection for minors can only be made in person at the National Support to Migrant Integration Centres (CNAIM) in Lisbon, Porto and Faro, and some Borders and Immigration Service (SEF) branches mceclip0.png. The applicant must provide any documents they have that proves they can benefit from Temporary Protection, i.e. ID.

CNAIM opening hours mceclip0.png and addresses:

  • Lisbon: Rua รlvaro Coutinho, 14, 1150 โ€“ 025 Lisboa - From 8am to 5pm (working days);
  • Faro: Loja do Cidadรฃo, Mercado Municipal, 1.ยบ Piso, Largo Dr. Francisco Sรก Carneiro, 8000-151 Faro - From 8.30am to 5pm (working days);
  • Porto: Av. de Franรงa, 316, Edifรญcio Capitรณlio, 4050-276 Porto - From 8am to 5pm (working days).

Temporary protection in Portugal can be obtained by:

  • Ukrainian national citizens;
  • Citizens who receive international protection in Ukraine;
  • Relatives of Ukrainian national citizens or recipients of international protection in Ukraine (relatives, akin, spouses or common law partners) who cannot return to their country of origin);
  • Foreign or stateless citizens with permanent residence in Ukraine, who hold a temporary residence permit or a long-stay visa and who cannot return to their country of origin.
Can I get temporary protection in this country if I have previously obtained temporary protection in another country?

Portugal can grant temporary protection to Ukrainians who already had temporary protection in another EU country. However, it is preferable to have confirmation of the waiver of temporary protection in the first country (e.g. a confirmation email). This is optional, as this information is contained in a common database.

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

The European Commission decided to extend the Temporary Protection Directive for Ukrainians. It will be valid until March 2024. Therefore, the status of temporary protection is likely to be automatically extended for another 1 year. Source mceclip0.png.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

Upon submitting their application, beneficiaries of temporary protection are granted access to:

  • The National Health Service;
  • Social Security;
  • Tax Authority;
  • The Institute of Employment and Professional Training, I.P., for automatic registration with job offers;
  • The labour market;
  • Adequate lodging;
  • School and learning of the Portuguese language; and
  • Social support for those without sufficient resources.
What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

Once the request is made, the Borders and Immigration Service (SEF) checks the relevant databases and then shares the applicantโ€™s data with the bodies charged with the automatic issue of a taxpayer, social security, and access to healthcare number.

After this, proof of acceptance is given, and the temporary protection request is validated; the residence permit is issued for one year.

May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

Beneficiaries of international protection (asylum) cannot return to their country of origin while they are considered a refuge.
If you have received temporary protection, you can return to Ukraine for a short period of time without any negative consequences. Before leaving the country that has given you temporary protection, we recommend that you notify the state social security authorities.
For repatriation assistance, you should contact the embassy/consulate of your country of origin in the EU country where you are currently staying. The national authorities in this country can also help you to contact your embassy/consulate in case you encounter problems and may offer assistance for your repatriation.
If you want to return to Ukraine, then most likely you will have to buy a train or bus ticket with your own money.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Yes, you can move freely around the country and, also around the European Union for 90 days within a 180-day period. But you can benefit from the rights granted with the temporary protection only in the country that issued your residence permit. If you get to another Member State, you can contact the competent authorities there in order to benefit from these rights.

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Yes, you can apply for asylum. The main differences from the temporary protection are the following:

Temporary protection:

  • It is a new addition to the international protection (asylum).
  • Fast access to the residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers, access to the job market.


  • Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter.
  • It is a complex procedure and it will take time until your case will be reviewed
  • You can access the job market after 6 months if no final decision has yet been taken on the case.
  • You are prohibited for 6 months to cross the border of the host state while your application is being considered

You can also apply for "family reunification" if a family member already resides legally in the EU.
Please refer to the official website mceclip0.png of the government.

How and where can I apply for the residency?

Once you request temporary protection, the Borders and Immigration Service (SEF) checks the relevant databases and then shares the applicantโ€™s data with the bodies charged with the automatic issue of a taxpayer, social security, and access to healthcare number. After this, proof of acceptance is given, and the temporary protection request is validated; the residence permit is issued for one year. Once your biometric data are collected, you will be able to update your personal details (address, email, and telephone number) and pick the means in which the permit is to be delivered. It can be picked up at a Borders and Immigration Service counter (SEF) or delivered to an address indicated by you.

Temporary Protection Title automatically includes:

  • A Temporary Residence Permit;
  • A Tax Identification Number (NIF);
  • A Social Security Identification Number (NISS);
  • A National Health Service (SNS) user number.

Official information is at mceclip0.png.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

It is difficult to pinpoint how long this takes, however, even if the issuance of the temporary protection card takes a few days, you will get a document proving the submission of the application.

What if I don't have the international passport?

Crossing the border without a biometric passport is allowed in case of arrival by land or humanitarian flights.

You can also request that a Single Trip Document to be issued (TVU in Portuguese), corresponding to a โ€œsafe conductโ€. This document is issued by a Portuguese Embassy in when the urgency is justified.

To request this document, please get in touch with a Portuguese embassy in the country youโ€™re at.

To get more information you can contact:

  • - created to provide information to people who want to come to Portugal, to Ukrainian citizens living in Portugal who want to bring their family to the country, and to anyone who wants to help.
  • the Migrant Helpline and Telephone Translation Service, in Ukrainian, on +351 218 106 191 or 808 257 257 (from the fixed-line network in Portugal), workdays, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 8pm, and Saturdays, from 9am to 5pm.
How to issue a foreign passport while abroad?

In order to issue a foreign passport, you need to contact the Ukrainian Embassy mceclip0.png.

A foreign passport is issued to a person who has reached the age of 16 on the basis of an application-questionnaire submitted by him personally. At the same time, the issuance of a foreign passport to a person who has been recognized by the court as having limited legal capacity or incapacity is carried out on the basis of an application-questionnaire of the guardian or other legal representative.

The following are attached to the application:

  • previous passport to be exchanged (if the passport is not issued for the first time);
  • internal passport in the form of a booklet (if available);
  • or ID card (if available);
  • a document confirming permanent residence or temporary stay abroad (if available);
  • certificate of registration of the place of residence in Ukraine / certificate of registration of the place of residence of a temporarily displaced person (if available);
  • a certificate of assignment of the registration number of the taxpayer's registration card (RNOKPP; if available).

In case of loss or theft of the previous passport, a document (report, certificate, etc.) issued by the competent authority of the state in which the passport was lost or stolen is attached to the application, confirming the fact of the owner's application regarding its loss or theft. Such a document is submitted without legalization and translation into Ukrainian.

In the case of issuing a passport in connection with a change in personal data (surname and/or first name), a document confirming such a change (marriage certificate, divorce certificate, court decision, etc.) is attached to the application. When issuing a foreign passport with a new surname and/or first name, the "domestic" passport (ID card) must be reissued.

In the event that the applicant has not previously been issued with an identity document, confirming Ukrainian citizenship and/or granting the right to leave Ukraine and enter Ukraine, a certificate of registration of the person as a citizen of Ukraine is provided (with the exception of cases when the person's parents at the time of his were citizens of Ukraine at birth).

How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Portugal?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Portugal, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Portugal?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Portugal retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

The first step of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine is to contact the local authorities in Portugal, so you can register the death. Ukrainian embassy mceclip0.png should also be able to help you in the process of registering the death abroad.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

Youโ€™ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. If you are repatriating a body to Ukraine for burial or cremation, the documents you will need include:

  • Death Certificate.
  • Certificate or Affidavit from the local health authorities stating that the cause of death of the individual to be shipped to Ukraine was not a communicable disease or infections.
  • A Document about the absence of any excessive objects inside the casket or urn with the ashes.
  • The Certificate of Cremation issued be the Funeral home or Cremation office.

All the mentioned documents should be authenticated, legalized and translated into Ukrainian by the certified translator. The originals of abovementioned documents and notarized translations, must accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The passport of the deceased person should be sent to the Embassy of Ukraine along with a notarized and authenticated copy of the Certificate of Death, and a translation from Portuguese to Ukrainian. The Embassy is to make correspondent procedures with the passport and can forward it back if it is required to accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The Embassy is to be informed of the date, time, and the place of delivery of the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine. Only the next of kin relatives of the deceased, or persons correspondingly authorized by them, can receive the casket or urn.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

There are many shops that offer such services. Look for printer shops and copy centers nearby your araes on Google Maps.

Where can I translate my documents?

You can translate your documents in any translation agency, for example mceclip0.png or mceclip0.png. Type in Google Maps "translation agency" and see which one is closer to your location.

You can contact the High Commission for Migration (ACM) Telephone Translation Service. Working hours: Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 7 pm; Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm.

Telephone: +(351) 218 106ย 191 or 808ย 257 257

More information here mceclip0.png.

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?

You can buy SIM-cards of local mobile operators: MEO mceclip0.png, NOS mceclip0.png, Vodafone mceclip0.png, NOWO mceclip0.png. Previously, companies announced a free distribution of cards, but the promotion lasted until July. It is possible that some mobile operators have extended the promotion until now.

Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.