The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

All children aged 1-5 have a guaranteed right to attend a kindergarten/nursery called a โ€œbarnehageโ€. They usually operate Monday to Friday, from 7 am to 5 pm or from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. There are several types of barnehage; owned by municipalities, privately operated, or โ€œfamily kindergartensโ€ that are operated in private homes. All barnehage are publicly subsidized but not free. Fees are strictly regulated and are set each year in the state budget. The fee is limited to NOK 3230 (EUR 315) per child per month and from the age of 2 years, children from low-income families are legally entitled to 20 hours per week of barnehage free of charge. Each municipality can set up their own schemes to reduce fees paid by parents or guardians. School-aged children (6-9 years old) can attend โ€œSFOโ€, a centre that keeps children before and after school for parents who work. All municipalities offer an SFO program. You must pay for this.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

The reception centre or the municipality will assist you with this. The asylum reception centre will offer primary school for children ages 6-16 years old and an adapted school for young people 16-18 years old. Once you have received your residence permit, your children have the right to attend school. The right to go to school applies as long as it is a high probability that you will stay in Norway for more than three months.

Talk to the municipality where you live regarding help sending your children to school. All asylum seekers and/or refugees have the same rights as Norwegian citizens to special education. The municipality will assess and support your child with their special education needs. The Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training is responsible for daycares/kindergartens, known in Norway as โ€œbarnehageโ€. Their website is accessible here mceclip0.png.

Education for youth and adults 16-24 years:

Youth who have completed Norwegian primary school or equivalent education, are entitled to upper secondary education upon application. Norwegian language competence is not required for admission to upper secondary education.

Persons who have completed upper secondary education in another country, but do not have their education approved as study qualifications or vocational qualifications in Norway, have the right to receive upper secondary education.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

You can go to a doctor, a peduatrician or the hospital (in case of ermergency). If your child is 12 years or younger and gets sick while you work, you can take paid leave from work to take care of your child.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

In order to obtain general study qualifications, persons with an education from Ukraine must document completion and passing upper secondary school and at least 1 year of higher education from an approved educational institution. In addition, they must document sufficient knowledge of English and Norwegian with an approved test or exam.

Oslo Met University mceclip0.png offers Norwegian and English language courses for Ukrainian refugees.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

You can study in Universities in Norwegian and English.

Red cross mceclip0.png offers Norwegian practice in Kristiansand, Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger, Tromsรธ and Trondheim.

Oslo Met University mceclip0.png offers Norwegian and English language courses for Ukrainian refugees.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can take an IELTS test in Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger, Haugesund and Trondheim. Tests are held on various dates throughout the year and registrations take place online.

You can take TOEFL in Norway. TO find a center, use this website mceclip0.png.