The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

As a Ukrainian refugee with a temporary protection status and an application for an annex 15 and subsequently an A card, you can claim a living allowance if you meet all the requirements.

The amount of financial aid in Belgium depends on the composition of the family, the number of children and their age.

The amount of payments is:

  • โ‚ฌ1,100 per person living alone;
  • family members will receive โ‚ฌ750 each;
  • for each child, depending on their number, additionally from 100 to โ‚ฌ200.

However, the total monthly payment cannot exceed โ‚ฌ1,560 per family.

It is worth noting that in order to receive social assistance in Belgium, a number of conditions must be met:

  • it is forbidden to leave the country for more than 28 days a year;
  • you must notify your social inspector about every trip outside Belgium.

Failure to comply with the conditions may result in the loss of social support, and in some cases you may be required to return previously received money.

To apply, go to the nearest OCMW/CPAS mceclip0.png social security center with your passport and a certificate of protection (card A or certificate Annexe 15/ Bijlage 15).

How do I set up a bank account?

For recognised refugees, asylum seekers and other temporarily protected persons, there is a so called basic bankung service in place. With the basic banking service, you can open a current account at a Belgian bank. You can perform basic transactions with this current account: withdraw money, pay by transfer or debit card, and create standing orders and direct debits.

Consult this pdf for more information mceclip0.png.

Frequently Asked Questions about basic bankung service mceclip0.png.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

According to the agreement between the national banks of Belgium and Ukraine, Ukrainians in Belgium will be able to exchange cash hryvnia for euros. The service will be available at the National Bank of Belgium or private banks Belfius, Beobank, BNP Paribas Fortis, CBC, ING, KBC and KBC Brussels. The maximum exchange amount per person is 10,000 hryvnia (316 euros). There will be no fees or commissions charged. You need to have identification documents with you.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

How much you'll need to pay in Belgium depends on whether you're a resident or non-resident. If you live in Belgium for at least six months (183 days) of the year and are registered with your local commune, then you are a resident for tax purposes. As a result, you must pay Belgian income tax on your worldwide income.

Your taxable income is the income left after deductions for the likes of social security contributions, personal allowance, and professional costs.

If you live in Belgium for fewer than six months (183 days) per year, you are only taxed on income youโ€™ve earned in the country, including rents and capital gains.

Expatriates working in Belgium temporarily may be able to apply for a special taxation regime and only pay Belgian income tax on their income in Belgium (rather than their worldwide income), even if theyโ€™re classified as a Belgian resident. Find out more about filing your taxes in Belgium mceclip0.png.

The Ministry of Finance (Service Public Fรฉdรฉral Finances) provides information on all aspects of taxation, most of which is available in Dutch and French, or you can call +32 (0)2 572 5757 (8:00 to 17:00).

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

In this case, individual consultation with a professional lawyer is necessary.

The Ministry of Finance (Service Public Fรฉdรฉral Finances) provides information on all aspects of taxation, most of which is available in Dutch and French, or you can call +32 (0)2 572 5757 (8:00 to 17:00).

How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Belgium to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.