The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

Children aged six months to five years old can attend infant or child centres, which are either run by the municipalities or privately funded. From the age of four, children can attend a pre-primary school, which is compulsory after the age of five.

Currently, the Ministry of Education and Science has organised an online kindergarten with video activities for children ages 3-6. It can be found in this link mceclip0.png. You can find more information on this as well as on the documents that you will need to enrol your child(ren) here mceclip0.png.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

Your children have access to public education, free of charge. Currently, online courses for children of all ages are available in Ukrainian. You can find more information on this as well as a guide for the Greek education system in the Ukrainian language here mceclip0.png. Depending on your specific circumstances, you will also find the documents that will be requested from you in order to enrol yourself or your child(ren) into school.

For now, any type of identification document (e.g., passport) will be enough and your child can be enrolled even without having all the official documents. The person in charge โ€“ based on the address โ€“ SEP (Refugee Education Coordinators) indicates in which school unit the child will be enrolled. Your children can be enrolled at the closest school to the area of residency. After contacting and making an appointment with the school principal, you visit the school to complete enrolment. You will be asked to complete additional documents there, which will be given to you by the principal.

Children will learn Greek at school. In many schools across Greece there are โ€˜reception classesโ€™ to support with language acquisition. There, the children that donโ€™t speak Greek as a first language, receive additional hours of Greek language learning and then they participate in the mainstream class with the rest of the children based on their age. A guife for Greek education in Ukrainian can be found here mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

You can go to a doctor, a general doctor or the hospital in emergencies. Access to public healthcare is free and accessed by appointment. The hospital emergency department is obliged to accept patients, regardless of the possession of legal or other documentation.

The emergency number of the National Emergency Center (EKAV) 166. There is also the emergency number 112 for all emergencies, accessible without a mobile network, providing 24hour interpretation in various languages. The National Helpline for children SOS 1056.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

There are no special programs for Ukrainian students. You can enter the university on a general basis without any privileges. To do this, you will need to pass the entrance exams.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

In Greece, you can study in Greek and English. Education at universities in Ukrainian or Russian is not provided.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can find information about the TOEFL test here mceclip0.png and the IELTS test here mceclip0.png.