The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

In Greece, there is no financial assistance for persons with temporary protection. Cash assistance from the Greek authorities is provided only to persons who have applied for international protection (asylum seekers) and who live in official accommodation provided by the Greek authorities.

How do I set up a bank account?

The documents required to open a bank account vary, depending on the bank. A list of commonly asked documents include:

  • identification Document (valid passport and/or residence permit, valid international protection applicantsโ€™ card)
  • confirmation of the main residence address (Certified public document by a public authority or consulate of the residence location, from which the main residence address occurs)
  • Income Certification and Tax Registration Number (AFM)
  • Tax Residence Certificate
  • Last Tax Clearance and Tax Return Certificate
  • Confirmation of profession/ business address and telephone number (Employerโ€™s certificate or document from a public authority, embassy, or consulate from which the professional status arises.

Confirmation of contact telephone number (mobile/ landline number)

In case an interpreter is needed during the procedure of opening the account, the interpreter must provide a solemn declaration including the following text โ€œI have a thorough knowledge of the Greek Language as well as the โ€ฆ language, so that I can accurately translate the terms of the documents in which I will co-sign.โ€

Each bank, depending on its pricing policy, may charge for the creation of this account.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

You can withdraw cash at a bank or at an ATM. You can exchange currencies at banks, exchange bureaus or at an ATM. A few typical places where you will spot ATMs are large squares, metro stations, supermarkets, shopping streets, and of course at the airport and all the major ports of Athens.

You can exchange foreign currency at all the Greek and foreign banks as well as at currency exchange bureaus which you can find at the Athens International Airport, the port of Piraeus, and in the most popular areas downtown like Syntagma and Omonoia.

Keep in mind that you will need a passport to exchange cash and that the process may take longer than you would think if you choose to go to a local bank for the exchange.

More information here mceclip0.png.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

Everyone who has a local tax registration number (AFM), including refugees and asylum-seekers in Greece, are obliged by Greek law to submit an income tax declaration every year.

You need to submit a tax declaration every year even if you didnโ€™t earn any income. Declaring taxes is critical to accessing social benefits provided by the Greek state.

Find more information on the procedure and deadlines, here mceclip0.png.

There is taxation only on income from paid employment, business, or real estate leasing. Social Allowances are tax-free. There are no specific guidelines for Ukrainian refugees, so the procedure is the same as for others.

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

In this case, individual consultation with a professional lawyer is necessary.

Information about taxation here mceclip0.png.

How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Greece to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.