The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?
What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Montenegro with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport.
  • Passport of the old sample, if its validity period has not yet expired (in accordance with paragraph 2 of the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 07.05.2014 No. 152 mceclip0.png).
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the DPSU, currently only citizens of Ukraine evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place can leave Ukraine with an internal passport, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of April 25, 2022 No. 75 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary.

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?


How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?
How can I travel to another (specific) country?


How long can I stay?


Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?


Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?


Where do I register for temporary protection?


How to extend the status of temporary protection?

Montenegro has extended the temporary protection status for Ukrainians for another year until March 11, 2024.

To obtain a new temporary protection document, Ukrainians should apply to the offices of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Montenegro (MUP) at their current place of residence. Adults must apply in person. Their legal representatives can obtain a new document for children under 18 years of age. You need to apply to the Ministry of Internal Affairs within three weeks - from February 21 to March 10.

Place of current residence means the community where you live as of the date of application (not the community where you received protection). The only exception is the Budva community. Reissue of the document should not take place in Budva, but in the city of Petrovac. Only persons with disabilities can apply to Budva with the assistance of the Red Cross of Budva.

What documents will be needed to extend temporary protection?

  • the original confirmation of receiving temporary protection, which will be replaced with a new one;
  • personal documents (passport, birth or marriage certificate with translation, etc.).

A new temporary protection document is issued immediately on the spot. If you need help, volunteers will be on duty.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?


What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?


May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?


Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?


Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?


How and where can I apply for the residency?
Where can I take a photo for my documents?
Where can I translate my documents?
How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?


Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.